WEDDINGS - To be or knot to be :)


SHIT!! Its wedding season! All of a sudden it’s like there is a rush to get married as if there is some kind of discount sale on that I am unaware off!! It feels like everyone I know is getting married at the drop of a hat. My girlfriends, classmates, brothers! Is it just me or is everyone all of sudden in a hurry to get married (faster than the speed of light itseems)!? My friend of 7 yrs announced her engagement yesterday. Another friend of mine got hitched last month and so did my brother. Then there is another girlfriend of mine who is being wedded off this month, the list of people settling down in a wedded bliss happens to be endless. With this list comes the inevitably uncomfortable and abrasive question by genuinely concerned (who don’t give a shit about you otherwise) people! The knowing look and the question people whisper to each other when I pass them in a party or the meddling aunties and overly concerned relatives ask at weddings – “so what about you?” or “when do we get to hear the good news from you?” or “aren’t you old enough to consider marrying? Girls your age are already married with kids, don’t you think its high time you tied the knot and dropped anchor?” then there is “you are still studying? At this age? When will you get married if you study till the age of 30??” the list of questions is longer than those of friends and cousins who are getting married!!

What I don’t understand when people ask me questions like these is – is there a specific age to get married? After which even if you do get married you can’t find happiness?? Or does studying or doing PhD till the age of 30 hinder or come in the way of marriage!? Don’t people study after marriage too!! My amma certainly did and as far as I know she is happy with her marriage. People often ask me why I don’t like attending weddings, other than obvious reasons like I am bored to death sitting in a corner staring into oblivion, hating people who complain about the food, clothes and just about anything, crowd of unfamiliar faces and flashy outfits. Now I have new reason to hate weddings with a renewed vigour “it being” mountain of undesirable questions from not-so-desirable people!! Then there is amma who gets worked up every time someone asks questions like these and she starts fretting about it!! No she never forces me to take a decision but she is always worried about me because amma being amma cannot stop from worrying herself to death about everything concerning us!! Then there is pappa, I love the man with all my heart for his absent mindedness. 
Just the other day….
We had just returned from a cousins wedding
Pappa: there is a invitation for you.
Me: it must X’s wedding invite.
Pappa: wasn’t he in the same class as you?
Me: yeah.
Papa suddenly turns to amma and says wasn’t ‘Y’ younger to her (me) [referring to the wedding we had just attended]?
Amma: yeah by a year or 2.
Pappa: (gives me a weird look and says) she is 25 na! she should have been married by now!! All the girls her age are either married or getting married. I think its high time we started looking for a suitable guy for her.
Amma: (with a look that said – how am I still married to this man!!) that’s what I have been telling you for the past one year! but you never listen!!

As for my brother, he doesn’t really give shit about when and whom I marry. All he says is, if you think he is the one for you then go for it, anyway the poor bastard you marry will never know what hit him!!
All in all everyone has some or the other opinion concerning my wedding, and its just me who is still in the state of “to be or knot to be”. Weddings or no weddings please spare me the drama!! I am happy the way I am and I don’t think that is going to change any time soon!


P.S: This is the result of attending endless weddings these past couple of months and apprehension for those that are due.  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts